Monday, November 7, 2011

Reveling in the Awesome: Being Young and Alive

This past weekend was abnormally fantastic. Do you ever have one of those perfect days when your hair looks great, every light is green, your car seems to be using not as much gas as usual, and you can immediately put your hands on the EXACT outfit you want to wear without blowing out your closet? String together 3 days like that, and you'd have my weekend.


Story time: On Friday, I turned 26. It's a nice year when you type it out. Nice numbers. BONUS, I'm still considered "mid-twenties." Mid-twenties means that I can continue to shop at H&M, and buy the girl's size Nike running shorts (hey, they're cheaper.) It means I can go out in public with chipped finger nail polish without people thinking I'm mentally ill. I can eat a meal consisting of Spaghetti-ohs without judgment, if I want to. My body piercings are considered legitimate and not desperate. Nobody asks me when I want to get married or have kids. And perhaps the most fun thing of all...I can play the "Oh sorry, that must have been before my time" card when "real adults" talk about 80's TV shows.



The weekend began with a deluge of texts, phone calls, and Facebook messages. Seriously, my phone buzzed every 10 seconds. Being an accountant, I started wondering if anyone ever considered using a "Birthday Wall Post per Hour" formula to calculate one's "Friend Density". Actually though, the fact that I just wondered that out loud makes me a loser. Furthermore, I finished up one of my high-profile and high-maintenance audits at work, received flowers at my desk from the most incredible and handsome guy (think: Benjamin Bratt + Bradley Cooper with a light dusting of Daniel Craig), and went out Friday night with my friends AND my parents. I mean, how cool is it that I have parents that still love to go out? I think I'm going to jump on their life schedule so that by the time I'm their age I can still go out with my kids.

Saturday morning my body rewarded my steadfast commitment to having only 4 drinks by granting me just a teensy hangover. We headed down to the Wake Forest game (BenBradleyDaniel included) and met up with my sister and brother. The game was GREAT fun, and as per every football game I didn't particularly care who won or lost. I barely picked up my phone to tweet, text or 'book because I was having such a fabulous time that I wanted to contain it all within myself for a little while. Sunday began with a delicious breakfast and a nice, leisurely drive back to Richmond where on the way we stopped at a new outlet center. BBD enjoys shopping as much as I do, and doesn't even mind my color-commentary on the state of fashion. ("Ew, what IS that? Who would wear that? It looks like something worn by a gay Honduran baby during a flood...but just for grins, how much is it?") I gave up on finding a guy who embraces my quirks a long time ago; at this point I'm just going for "tolerance." BBD, however, seems to both tolerate and enjoy. Strange. Maybe he has an undiagnosed hypersarcasm disorder. Either way, I'm buying whatever he's selling.

I've had a lot of cool, fun things strung together in a short amount of time. This got me thinking about OTHER awesome things that improve my quality of life. Here are a few others I've thought of:

- Chicken fingers. Any time is a good time. But don't bother asking to share with me because I'll order honey-mustard AND barbecue sauce, double-dip in both of them so that one ends up looking like lava and the other one like gravy. The only person in America that this is appetizing for is me.
- Along those lines, Chik-Fil-A. Hearing someone say "My pleasure" will never get old for me.
- Those plastic thingies at Starbucks that you put in the top of drinks to keep them from spilling. Clearly the inventor of this ALSO had a Burberry scarf that they didn't want to ruin with a soy latte.
- That glossy sheen on the top of fall leaves.
- When you climb into your car at the end of the day and it happens to be the PERFECT temperature.
- Boots. Frye Boots. Particularly, the ones that BBD got me for by birthday.
- When you drive by a house or business and see Christmas lights and think, "this person likes Christmas as much as I do... we would totally get along!"

What improves YOUR quality of life? What did you do this weekend that reminded you of how much you love being young and alive? Let's hear 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment