Monday, October 31, 2011

Edward Cullen is Not Real and He Will Never Love You

...seems like a fairly obvious statement, right? I mean, we're grown men and women, and we can agree on the fact that these fictional male characters (Edward, Jacob, Harry, Peeta, Gale, and every reformed scruffy dude from every Nicholas Sparks novel) are not even loosely based on anything found in the world today.

Gentlemen, show of hands...who here is sick of hearing us pine for dudes that don't exist?


Director: "That was great, but try it again. Only this time, brood MORE. No no, even MORE. And more lip-biting. Yeah."


It's like, not only do guys have to worry about warm-blooded human celebrities like David Beckham, Ryan Gosling, and Jude Law (if he's still alive), now they have to contend with competitors who are impossible to beat because they are not real. Oh, the perils of being a 21st century middle-class male! But this is not a new cultural phenomena; remember back, if you will, to your 11th grade English class. Mr. Darcy? Ring any bells? How about Rhett Butler? These guys are the PIMPS of the canonized literary world. They've been getting ladies' pantaloons in a twist for centuries now. What we've found in Edward and Peeta are just more updated versions of Rhett and Mr. Darcy, only with more Hot Topic clothing, a fetish for human blood, and a post-apocalyptic rendering of America where children are forced to fight each other to the death on a reality TV show. So, same thing really.


As a woman, I can't decide whether it is good or bad that we hold the menfolk to such a high standard. For the moment, I'm leaning toward "good", because I truly do think that these guys are stating a pretty powerful message: Girls want to be treated well, loved for their intelligence, and cared for unconditionally. If you're a bit baffled about the Edward Cullen phenomenon still, let me help you out: basically he's a vampire who loves this dramatic, plain girl who bites her lower lip a lot...pretty much because of her chemistry. Is it biological chemistry? Is it EMOTIONAL chemistry? Who can tell? It doesn't matter. He loves her, he would die for her, and he (for the first year of their relationship) does NOT want to have sex with her. Ideal, right? (See also: I'm a huge prude.)

I wish I could do a "JayWalking"-type on the street outside my apartment and just randomly ask guys to tell me their "ideal woman", in terms of a character from literature or the entertainment industry. Multiple recent shootings and pesky dead-body searches prohibit me from doing this, but I have a feeling that Lisbeth Salander, Calpurnia, and Hermione probably wouldn't make the list. I suppose the point that I'm trying to make is that WOMEN are often falling in love with charismatic, respectable dudes from literature and men are drawn to the same thing they've always been drawn to. So are we "dumbing down" by wanting a fictional guy, or wising up by realizing what a "good man" could be?

I can't really decide. I suppose I'm in the camp of "Until it affects your day-to-day life, it's not really a problem." Unless you are finding yourself eating Lean Pockets in bed every night and resigning yourself to being a full-time, freelance reality TV critic because you hold men to an impossible standard, I think it's alright to let these fictional guys be the inspiration for the type of guy you want to date.

These are dark days, my friends. The 7 billionth baby was born somewhere today, probably to Angelina Jolie. The "Occupy: _____" movement has gotten so desperate and lame that they've posted up in 3rd tier cities like Richmond (watch out, Fergusson Plumbing headquarters...they're coming for you.) Kim Kardashian's name is officially longer than her marriage lasted. The dating pool is deep, wide, and dangerous. Girls and guys, we've got to remember to keep it classy but keep it real (which is also the slogan of the poster that hangs over my bed.)



Not really.

1 comment:

  1. I'll tell you what I think. Real life equivalents of these fictional gentlemen do exist - there just aren't enough of them to go around. Maybe single women should mud-wrestle for the right to marry them.

    ReplyDelete