Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Best is Yet to Come (And yes, that's what she said.)

Hello friends. Don't blame the lack of update on your new underwhelming iPhone 5; your RSS feed is fine. I haven't posted in about 2 weeks. Sorry about it. LOTS of great things going on right now, though. For starters, it's Fall, my favorite season ever. Last weekend while the city of Richmond was busy arranging themselves in front of a television somewhere to enjoy football, the chilly weather arrived and brought with it the prospect of wearing my Fall wardrobe, which is basically my summer wardrobe plus a cardigan and tights. Moving on...

Oh, I broke up with my boyfriend of 3 years. So. That happened.

Now if you're all hyped up to read some salacious details about everything that went wrong with our relationship, you might as well stop reading this now and go back to your Facebook-stalking, child-on-toilet-posting, "I'm-investigating-but-I-can't-tell-if-it-was-mutual-based-on-their-wall-posts"-ing ways. If you're REALLY in my inner circle, you know what you need to know. If you're in my inner circle and do NOT know, give me a call or shoot me an email. I'll fill you in. Another option is to ask my sister- she would set you straight. But her version is rated PG-13 for Some Mild Language and Adult Themes. You've been warned.

Over the past few weeks there have been times that have absolutely sucked. There were moments where I felt like my grief over the loss of my relationship with my special person was going to strangle me. I had mornings where I just laid there in bed thinking, "I can't believe I'm here." Anyone who has been there can relate. There are 15-minute jags where you feel like you will absolutely never be happy again. It reminds me of that scene in City of Angels where award-winning Father of the Year actor Nicholas Cage is telling a fellow angel that 'human pain' can't be worth being human. Through my own human experience (and obviously Nicholas Cage's stellar performance), I get that now.


But here's the thing:

For every second that I felt sad, there have been hundreds of seconds where I have had a reason to smile and look forward; A card in the mail from a kind sorority sister who already has a wayyy more stressful life than me, A text from a friend I haven't seen since preschool who reminds me to smile, My best bud from Elon offering humor and possibly a hit man service (not needed, but the thought was much appreciated), My best friend since 3rd grade sharing a bottle of champagne with me as we "toast to life", The 3 boys who moved everything out of Matt's house for me while I was at work--These guys have come from every direction to make me feel better, and I could write all day and not even scratch the surface on how thankful I am to have each of them. They are my Ross, Rachel, Chandler and Monica. They are my Rory and Lorelei. They are my...Whitney and that show about the girl who moves in with 3 dudes.


Now concerning more practical matters, I am getting ready to move downtown to the Shockoe Bottom area, where I've wanted to live for a long time. I'm living with one of my friends, and we are going to decorate the heck out of our new digs. We'll have a rooftop pool. Visitors welcome. Attractive MCV Doctors and Don Draper look-alikes are encouraged to apply.

So that's what I've been up to lately. OH! I've also become a lot more social; I blame the new female-empowering Fall TV Lineup which includes a show about a shrill brunette living with her boyfriend, one about 2 parents apparently locked in battle with their newborn baby, and another one where all you need to know is that the title contains the word "Playboy". At any rate, I went out downtown last weekend with some friends and ended up meeting NEW friends, which is always fun. I also accidentally turned into Miss Shockoe Bottom Vodka Princess 2011 but alas, hangovers don't last forever and next time I'll remember to drink some water between my 11th and 12th cocktail. Or, I'll just have 2 because that's really all I need.


Here is my final thought for you, my friends: If you are questioning, thinking, or wondering if you could do better for yourself...MAKE THE CHANGE. You won't regret it. You may even save yourself from making the biggest mistake of your life. Your true friends will be there to catch you when you make the jump!

1 comment:

  1. so true. all of it. oh, and I call dibs on being Monica...I already have the OCD tendencies.

    and those days or those 15 minutes when you are in bed, staring at the ceiling, asking yourself how you got there...those are the ones you look back on as a reminder to appreciate the other days of the year when you feel good. after hitting rock bottom more than once in my short life thus far, as bad as those moments were, i wouldn't take them back for the world.

    you're a smart cookie. and a pretty one, too.

    <3

    ReplyDelete