Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sunday Post: Entitlement. We Haz It.

You know what I find really annoying? When all 4 of my $25 Venti Starbucks reusable tumbler cups are in in dishwasher. I mean, really. It grinds my gears. Because then I have to wash one, and frankly Scarlett I just don't have the time.

Welcome to the generation over the overachieving and entitled.

Let me tell you a little bit about ourselves; our parents, teachers, coaches, etc. have pushed, shoved and cajoled us into doing great things (or "average" things, depending on who you ask), and now we've earned the freedom to openly complain about things that just really aren't that bad. Don't believe me? Here are a few that I've caught myself lamenting over. Some are in jest, some are not. You be the judge. Let's just pause and appreciate the fact that this great nation of ours affords us the luxury of complaining about stupid things. Maybe you have a few of your own that you'd like to add...I recently learned that this blog has a "comment" section, so... Go crazy.

- I hate when all I want to do is watch a YouTube video of a cat doing something hilarious, but I have to wait for the dagblasted thing to "buffer." Excuse me, but I didn't see this happening on any Verizon commercial...can you hear me now?

- It's 2011, and the ideal purse size has not been invented yet. Everything is either too big or too small. Either I'm busting the seams trying to cram my Kindle into the damn thing, or it's so big that at the end of the week I find 3 different mix-and-match outfits in there, made up of various layers of clothing I've discarded. Plus belts.

- H&M doesn't have an online store. No further comment.

- Why are people still wasting money on those awkward, tottery, orthotic-looking shoe things that Kim Kardashian is promoting? The Tone-Ups, or whatever. Are we in THAT much of a hurry to wear horribly unattractive footwear? We have the last 30 years of our lives to do that. Plus, leading researchers (and by that I mean my friends who are in PT school/businesses involving exercise) say that they aren't worth squat--which is, by the way, the exercise you should be doing if you REALLY want to improve your butt. 

- Needles are a MISERABLE, barbaric medium of transporting vaccines into the body. We can now transplant livers, hearts and spleens. We can grow various body parts from pumpkin spores. There's topical shampoo to reverse hair loss. And yet...shots. I don't buy it. I'm wise to you, GlaxoSmithKline...there's something you're not sharing with  us. Sadists.

Now that you've taken this trip down misery lane with me, what's a First World Country-type problem that irritates you? Don't be shy. Cyberspace is a friendly place!

2 comments:

  1. Are we playing first world problems? I hate it when I want to watch a movie and Netflix only has it on DVD, not instant streaming. Get it together, Netflix, I don't want to wait 2 days to watch it. The sad thing is that the youth of today seem to be even more focused on instant gratification and our society as a whole seems to have forgotten about patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I have to wait longer than an hour to get the results of anything...blood test, standardized test, a response to an e-mail, a return call. I need instant gratification all the time and I have no shame about it.

    ReplyDelete